Sunday, March 26, 2006

07 - Victoria - The Road to Skingrad:

Although a small ladder behind the main chamber presented a swift route out of the Elven ruins, I again returned to the thrones which had drawn me earlier. Having looked upon them for a time, I approached and seated myself, a sense of elation washing over me. The juxtaposition of my pride contrasting with the ruins around me brought to mind the verse “Look upon my works, ye mighty... and despair” - for doubtless those who had once sat here had considered themselves unassailable. I remained in thought for some time, considering my plans for the future.

Finally I departed the ruins through the ladder, which lead into the forest, slightly off the main path. It was night time again, and heavy with rain. I felt in my element, yet decided to advance swiftly to Skingrad, avoiding any further distractions. I felt that I had spent too long so near the capital, and further my recent explorations had left me with as much treasure as I could carry unaided. I cut back to the road, before turning in the direction of Skingrad.

The journey was relatively uneventful, aside from encountering a guard fighting a bandit slightly off the path. The guard prevailed with ease before remounting his horse, greeting me in passing. At last the silhouette of Skingrad became visible, and as I approached I beheld a tall, torch lit bridge. It appeared a secure location, and I considered that it might be worthwhile establishing a permanent residence here, if a suitable place could be found.

Entering the town, I swiftly tracked down an Inn by the name of the 'West Weald'; a welcome sight after my long journey, for it was now midnight. The landlady seemed pleasant enough, but the price was not – twenty gold for a room! A pittance compared to what I had earned through my exploration perhaps, yet it again caused the thought of a permanent residence to rise to prominence in my mind.

As seemed the style in most Inns, the guest rooms were located at the top of the house, and I swiftly ascended – pausing only to lock the door before collapsing into the bed. I felt I had earned a rest and slept until mid day, the light streaming in through the windows above me.

Deciding that I had recovered sufficiently I departed, with the exploration of Skingrad proper and sale of items in mind – in addition to perhaps tracking down a mages guild, and having a look at any housing for sale...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Free Counter